Medication at School

Parents of any student who need to take medication during the school day must inform the school nurse or other designated certificated school employee of the medication(s) being taken, the current dosage, and the name of the supervising physician. With the consent of the parent, the school nurse may communicate with the physician and may counsel with school personnel regarding the possible effects of the drug on the child's physical, intellectual, and social behavior, as well as possible behavioral signs and symptoms of adverse side effects, omission, or overdose.

If a student must take prescribed medication at school and desires assistance of school personnel, his/her parent/guardian must annually submit a written statement of instructions from the physician and a parental request for assistance in administering the medication. Students may carry and self-administer prescription auto-injectable epinephrine and/or inhaled asthma medication upon the school's receipt of written confirmation and authorization from the student's parent and physician/surgeon. If the physician/surgeon practices in Mexico, s/he must be contracted with a prepaid health plan operating lawfully under the laws of Mexico and be licensed as a health care service plan in California. The notice must be written in both Spanish and English and include the name and contact information for the physician/surgeon.